Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walls

I haven’t updated in a long time. I apologize for that, really. I am scolding myself for not being more of a regular writer when it comes to writing about my life.
As I settle in to California life I find myself hopeful. I am a bundle of quirks and flaws. I take a long time to adapt to things, I lose focus easily, and I have a hard time making decisions. But luckily, this transition is an improvement from my transition to college. Freshman year, it took a whole semester before I even started feeling comfortable to trust people. This time, it only took a month.
I intern at a company called Industry Entertainment. I read scripts and write coverage for them. My first week was awesome. I work three days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 10am – 6pm. At first I thought these days would be long, and that they’d cut in to my lovely days of laziness (though I prefer to call them days I set aside to reflect and have fun) but they don’t seem to be long at all. Working in an office as opposed to working in a cafeteria makes quite a difference. Reading scripts? Hell yeah. My eyes hurt at the end of the day but whatever. On Friday my boss praised me for the coverage I wrote. He was going to give me feedback but couldn’t find anything. He was further impressed that for my first time writing it, I wrote it in two hours. It was then that I realized it was safe for me to let my walls down just a little. I often believe the false statement that since I’m an Ohioan living in LA, I don’t know anything. It was then that I realized - or remembered – that I do know something. It’s not really that big of a deal, but I was pretty encouraged.
What’s great is that I am becoming more focused as I read more scripts for my job. Yes, my mind wanders a lot. Yes, I have to read the same paragraph over and over sometimes. But I feel improvement taking place.
I don’t know what the heck to write about. I’ve wanted to be attached to my next big project for some time now, and I can’t seem to stay put with just one idea. I’ve started three new stories over the last few months. I’m currently trying to stick with my latest. What do I really care about? Going to the Writer’s Guild panel discussion was helpful; particularly hearing Nicole Holofcener (writer of Please Give) and Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) talk. Nicole said that just she starts writing, takes it one step at a time. She just hears her dialog. I miss the times when I used to do that. I didn’t care about much else. I just did it for fun. That was the stuff that turned out to be the best. But what do I know? I’m still learning, there’s much more to learn. I’ll always be learning.

4 comments:

  1. I was going to leave feedback, but couldn't think of anything.

    Live on, Erin. Live on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious as to what Mr. Sorkin had to say... BTW, did you see the Social Network? What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew: I can't remember all that Sorkin had to say. Sometime, when we're talking I'll have to get the wheels turning and recall some of the details that stuck out to me but probably weren't that important.

    ANYWAY: I did see The Social Network. I thought it was a brilliantly written screenplay, and the dialog was SO good. But I had a hard time connecting to the story emotionally. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete